Tags

Studio Practise 2A

For my proposal I intended to take a series of portraits of bands/musicians in different theatre locations. I needed to obtain permission from the theatres to be able to photograph in them.  I intended to experiment with using different props to show their personalities in my photos.

The genre for my project was people, and in particular musicians, however as well as this some of my photos could fall into the portraiture genre, because I took single musician portraits as well as full band photos.

I started my testing by experimenting with flash as I planned to use a flashgun in my project, and couldn’t get admission to the location for a few weeks to begin my actual testing. First I took photos outdoors with flash, and then indoors with flash which was more relevant to my project. I found these photos to be successful.

I then took photos in a theatre bar, as the theatre couldn’t allow me access to the main stage because of rehearsals and productions being put on for the next fortnight. However I was allowed to use the theatre bar and took advantage of that to take band portraits in that location and further experiment with flash in portraits. At first I found it difficult to work out what setting to have my flashgun on to get a perfectly exposed photo, however I found that after a while I got used to it and found it easier to combine flash with the little ambient lighting in the location. I used props that were in the area, such as the bar, and chairs to capture the personalities of the musicians and found that these were successful, and that I liked the outcome of my photos.

I then took photos of musicians in the theatre auditorium once I was allowed access, and found that the lighting on the stage helped me to create different effects in my photos, for example the stage had a background that could be made to change different colours according to lighting. Because of this I could control the background of my photos instead of just having white, and I found that because of the coloured lighting it made the band stand out more in my photos. Also the front and back of stage lighting could be changed to how I wanted it, meaning I could experiment with silhouetting the band. As well as this having the band on the stage made them react more in my photos, and made them ‘play up’ to the camera; showing their personalities more. I had intended to use props such as the bands instruments in my photos, however the band weren’t able to bring their own instruments and didn’t make me aware of this until it was too late for me to bring my own. I think that these photos were successful.

I have completed all my testing, and my project is almost finished. I intend to complete another photoshoot in a theatre, but this time make sure the band can bring their instruments, or bring some of my own, and set the portraits up as if they were playing a gig.

Advertisements